Piedras Blancas Light
A coastal headland on Highway 1, six miles north of San Simeon, where cormorants have whitened the offshore rocks enough to give the place its Spanish name. The lighthouse was lit on 15 February 1875, originally a hundred-foot brick tower carrying a first-order Fresnel lens shipped from Paris. A 1948 earthquake and the smaller shocks that followed damaged the upper sections; the lantern and watch rooms were removed and the tower capped at about seventy feet. The original Fresnel lens is now displayed in the town of Cambria, twenty miles south. A modern beacon still turns through the dome each night. The elephant seal rookery begins a mile down the beach.
Slowly infused into the ceramic surface under high heat and pressure, in our family studio in Knoxville, Tennessee.